Friday, May 8, 2009

Quote of the Day

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." -Ray Bradbury

I think this is a good one for today and the future to come. We live in a world of TV, video games, computers, cell phones, Ipods, etc, etc. I think anybody reading this knows that we have found many ways to entertain ourselves with these gadgets. We use them for our news too. If we don't want too, we never have to open another book, newspaper, dictionary, encyclopedia, or magazine to find out news, information, meanings...or whatever again. So what does this say about the culture of America? The world? We are so "plugged in" today and that is our lives...it IS our culture. If we took those things away, what would happen? How would we cope? Could we? I've often said, "What did we do before cell phones?" It's hard to remember now. I use my cell so often and feel I NEEDED it. Would we say that if books were suddenly gone? Would we feel life couldn't go on WITHOUT books? I know that books are still a viable consumer product, but I would like to know if or how much book sales have dropped when TV was created? Video games? Internet?

I love to read and many of my friends love to read, so I would be very sad if books were no more, but even I use the internet alot to find out just about any question I have. Getting through college without the net....I don't know how people used to do it....honestly. I feel so priviledged in that regard.

At any rate, this is just thoughts to chew on for the day. I hope we all find the time to pick up a good book and pass it along when you're done.

No comments:

Post a Comment